The famous Japanese publisher Kodansha announced on Tuesday the winners of its 44th annual manga awards in each of three categories.
Winner: Tokyo卍Revengers by Ken Wakui, publishing in Weekly Shounen Magazine
- Spy x Family by Tatsuya Endou, publishing in Shounen Jump+
- Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken by Fuse and Taiki Kawakami, publishing in Shounen Sirius
- Runway de Waratte by Kotoba Inoya, publishing in Weekly Shounen Magazine
Winner: Boku to Kimi no Taisetsu na Hanashi by Robico, publishing in Dessert
- Kageki Shoujo!! by Kumiko Saiki, publishing in Melody
- Gozen 0-ji, Kiss shi ni Kite yo by Rin Mikimoto, publishing in Bessatsu Friend
- Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai by Megumi Morino, publishing in Dessert
Winner: Blue Period by Tsubasa Yamaguchi, publishing in Afternoon
- Skip to Loafer by Misaki Takamatsu, publishing in Afternoon
- Tongari Boushi no Atelier by Kamome Shirahama, publishing in Morning Two
- Mystery to Iu nakare by Yumi Tamura, publishing in Monthly Flowers
The selection committee of the 44th Kodansha Manga Awards consisted of mangaka Ken Akamatsu (Mahou Sensei Negima!), Tochi Ueyama (Cooking Papa), Oh! Great (Air Gear), Atsushi Kase (Zerosen), Akiko Higashimura (Kuragehime), Yuuji Moritaka (Gurazeni), and Waki Yamato (Haikara-san ga Tooru).
The winner will receive a certificate and bronze statue, and a prize of 1 million yen (about US$9,100). To prevent new coronavirus infection, the presenting ceremony will not be held this year, but they plan to hold it next summer in conjunction with the next year’s awards.
In past years, Kodansha also gave out a “Best Children’s Manga” award as well, but starting in 2015 Kodansha has integrated the nominees for that category into the Best Shōnen Manga and Best Shōjo Manga categories instead.
Last year, Negi Haruba‘s The Quintessential Quintuplets and Yoshitoki Ōima‘s To Your Eternity both won the Best Shonan Manga award. Rie Aruga‘s Perfect World won the Best Shōjo Manga award. Fumi Yoshinaga‘s What Did You Eat Yesterday? won the Best General Manga award.